Saturday, June 13, 2009

I made a turtle!

So Wednesday finally hits and it is time for our next CIEE optional event. Today is a Wara class on making kame (turtles) out of the leftovers from the rice plants.

what we were making

We had to weave together the big straw pieces to form the head and outer shell.

We had to braid together three of them, and they asked if I had a sister or something because I was so quick and good at doing it. We then made the shell by checker boarding smaller pieces of straw together,

and then for the tail we used end pieces with the seeds.

My turtle turned out soo good, and I think they heard me comment to my friends that I wanted one of the smaller turtles like they had on display in the office, so they had me twist together two longer pieces again, that was harder to do, and they made me a small turlte to go with my bigger one ^_^

My finished turtles, they even gave us free gifts of little pre-made sandals.

I then went with my friends that also made turtles and we went to a small bar near the school and they got yakitori, grilled chicken on a stick, and I got okonomiyaki which is a bit harder to explain, it's a sorta cabbage and egg pancake, and it was good. After talking for a while and saying how awesome are turtles were, we went home.

No comments:

Post a Comment